Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cooking with Casey: Baked Halibut

One of my Handsome Husband's coworkers has a boyfriend who loves to fish.  And she is super generous and share some of the fantastic fish that he brings home, so a few weeks ago when HH brought home this halibut, I knew I could find a fantastic recipe to use.  And lucky for him, I like my fish raw, so he had it all to himself!  (Wouldn't you know it, the dude was so excited to take it to school for lunch, and left it there before even eating it!  One of his law school buddies lucked out with a yummy fish lunch instead of HH!)

Panko Baked Halibut with Mustard
Original recipe from HERE, slightly modified version below
Serves 2
 
2 large halibut steaks
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lemon
 
Preheat oven to 375.
 
Combine mustard and melted butter in shallow bowl. 
 
Dip halibut steaks into mustard mixture, leaving them for 30-60 seconds to soak up the mixture.
 
I spread my Panko crumbs in a pie pan, and used that to coat the steaks in.  Place the steak in the crumbs, turn over and be sure to liberally coat the entire halibut steak.
 
Place steaks in a pyrex baking dish (I just used a 9x9, but you could use a baking sheet or another sized pyrex, I suppose).
 
Season with salt and pepper, and put into oven.
 
Bake for 20 minutes.
 
After removing from oven, squeeze about half of a lemon onto the tops of the steaks, and serve with lemon slices.  I served mine over rice.
 
 
This recipe got rave reviews from HH and his law school buddy - let me know if you try it!
Also, my guess is that it would work with many other kinds of fish.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...